I live in a 1923 bungalow. I love my old house, but it is old. As such, I always find something to do around the place. For the last year, a few things have been bothering me. These things didn’t bother me so much before the break in (August 2011), but since, they’ve been on my mind a fair bit.

First, the original front door, which I love, has 15 panes of glass. In the past, I’ve had a blind and a few different shades covering it, providing privacy. However, I didn’t like any of them, for a variety of reasons. Since August 2011, the door has been without any sort of covering and I’ve constantly felt as though I was living in a fishbowl. Anyone walking up on the street or standing on the front porch had a full view of the living room (it’s not a large room), as you can see for yourself.

front door, work in progress
front door, work in progress
frosted glass front door
After (from inside)

Last week, I dug around in the garage and found the frosted glass material (made by Gila) that I’d used in the pantry. I was a few panes short, but a quick trip to Lowe’s supplied with me enough to finish the job. Here’s the after (from inside, looking out).

What I love about this material—it’s thinner than contact paper, feels more like true frosted glass, and is fairly easy to install. It allows light to come into the room but gives me privacy. I left the 2nd and 4th row middle windows clear, allowing me and the dogs to look out. Trust me, though, get the liquid/squeegee/cutter product the manufacturer also sells. It will save you from ruining the film as you apply it. And yes, sanding and repainting the front door is on the list. I’ll get to that once the weather warms up a bit more.

fixing the locks
Fixing the locks

Second, save the original back door which is between the kitchen and dining room, none of my interior doors lock—including the bathroom’s. More than a few of my party guests have had others walk on them while using the facilities. Well, that’s just silly and while it’s a bit comical, I really should have a bathroom door that locks. For that matter, my bedroom doors should also lock. MM had looked at the front door’s old lock and thought the internal door mortise mechanism could probably be fixed so that it could function once again.

bathroom door
Locking bathroom door (lock out, key in)

A few weeks ago, this got me thinking about the interior doors. I took a knife and scrape the door and saw that yup, there was a rectangular-shaped bolt that could slide out of the door. I removed a closet door’s locking mechanism with a screw driver. I then took that with me to a few hardware stores, looking for a skeleton key that would open the lock. I purchased a skeleton key, the mechanism turned. I tried the key on the other doors and found that two of the doors wouldn’t lock; their mechanisms were broken. I switched those out for the bathroom door and a bedroom door, putting the non-locking mechanisms into closet doors.

So, for $2.50 and some elbow grease, the bathroom and bedroom doors now lock. I’m pretty pleased and I can guarantee, so will my party guests…