No grand sweeping alterations in the front. I think this is a good thing—it’s a sign that the front yard is finally ready for simple tweaking/fill-in plants here and there. It looks a bit wild—it’s taken four long years to transform the yard into a naturalized garden.
I need to install a few paths and plant native fescue plugs come fall, but otherwise, it’s getting close. The major landscaping is complete. and the native/drought-tolerant plants are holding their own. French drains, raised beds, substantial re-grading (by hand!) and re-contouring, and last but not least, an entirely new planting scheme–done.
Recall, as you look at these pictures (i’ll make sure to post an overall view tomorrow), the only plants which remain from 4 years ago (when i purchased the house) are the jasmine (climbing on porch), the rosemary bush (dramatically cut back), the camelia tree (house right), pink roses (along fence) and the ornamental pommegrante (arbor right). The roses, if you recall, used to run amuck by the fence. I’ve been winding them around the fence posts for the last few years. Every year or so, I get angry at them (have i mentioned how much I hate THORNED plants?!) and cut them to the ground. They will not die. So, as with all things in this yard, what grows, grows. Leave the rest alone.
The yard originally was covered in sod, patches of irises, and sloped either towards the house (front right) or towards the neighbors’ yard (which caused a large amount of turbid run off in the winter).
On Tuesday, it took me ALL day, but I got 96 individual ground covers in the ground—flanking (verbena) or interspersed (two species of creeping thyme) among the flagstone. I added some dirt below the window box (carefully as not to clog the french drains) and transplanted three additional jade plants into this area. Nasterium has begun to reseed itself in the yard (finally!).
And with that…here are some pictures.